Monday, October 11, 2004

[lfc-news] Baros eager to prove his worth at Anfield - Post

Liverpool Daily Post, 11 Oct 2004
Baros eager to prove his worth at Anfield
By Ian Doyle, Daily Post Staff

MILAN BAROS has revealed his frustration at failing to secure a regular starting place at Liverpool this season.

Despite having appeared in every game this season, the striker has been restricted to a role as substitute in recent weeks as Rafael Benitez juggles his attacking options.

A strike partnership with new signing Djibril Cisse has been slow to materialise and the Frenchman was selected in preference to Baros as a lone striker in the defeats at Olympiakos and Chelsea.

But Baros is convinced he can replicate the form which saw him finish top scorer at Euro 2004 in the summer with the Czech Republic.

"I have started the last few games from the bench and after being top scorer at Euro 2004 that is a surprise," said the 22-year-old, who last week reiterated his dream of a move to Barcelona.

"I don't think I'm a better or worse player than I was three months ago.

"I am using thoughts of that tournament to help me and I'm not afraid of the challenge.

"I believe in my abilities more and I just want to get the chance to show it. When I go on to the pitch I say to myself: 'this is the time for me, this will be good'.

"Euro 2004 was amazing for me but I don't think about it all the time. I just try to do my job at Liverpool, I only remember the games and the goals if I see them on TV."

Baros also believes Liverpool are on the verge of a marked improvement under Benitez's tutelage.

"As a team, we feel things are coming together," he added.. "We have new players in the team who are starting to fit in and with every training session we are getting better.

"Under Benitez we are working more on tactics and learning how to play a more pressing game. We are on the right track and we all trust the coach. Now I aim to start more games and I can only do that by continuing to work hard."

Meanwhile, Liverpool and Czech team-mate Vladimir Smicer has insisted he has not given up hope of a first-team return in the New Year.

The schemer underwent knee surgery in the summer which was expected to sideline him for six months.

Smicer was informed there was only a 75% chance of the operation being a success, but subsequent trouble-free rehabilitation has proven encouraging.

"My operation was 10 weeks ago and I've been off crutches for the last two weeks," said the 31-year-old.

"I now need to build up the muscle before I can start running."

Smicer continued: "If all goes well I'll be running at the start of December and then playing again in January.

"It was a big operation and there was a possibility it wouldn't work out, but the medical people are all confident I'll be okay and be able to come back on schedule."

Smicer is in the final year of his current contract, and he added: "I know I'm in a difficult situation with my contract but all I can do is get into the team and prove to people I deserve a new deal.

"I've been injured a lot lately so I don't know if I will be offered a new contract. If I could choose to stay then I would, without a doubt.

"But we'll have to wait and see what happens."