Wednesday, October 06, 2004

Josemi enjoying Anfield life - Official Site

Official LFC Website, 6 Oct 2004
JOSEMI ENJOYING ANFIELD LIFE
By Chahine Benabadji

He may have swapped sunny Spain for the unpredictable weather patterns of
Merseyside, but Josemi has insisted he couldn't be happier with his new
life in England.
The 24 year old defender, who was born in Torremolinos on the Costa del Sol
in southern Spain, accepted Rafael Benitez's offer to join him at Liverpool
this season and admits he's gradually overcoming the obstacles faced by all
foreigners who choose to work in a different country.

Talking to LFC Magazine, he said: "The weather, the people here, the fans,
plus everyone who works at the club are making it really easy for me to get
used to my new surroundings which is important when you come to a new club
and a different country.

"The fact that Rafael Benitez speaks good English has helped bridge the gap
between myself and my new team-mates as well.

"Also, if I don't understand a certain point or instruction in training the
other Spanish players will help me as some of them speak much better
English than me at the moment."

Josemi, who was Benitez?s first signing last summer, also admitted he still
has a lot to learn about English football.

"I have definitely noticed that the English game is harder and tougher than
the Spanish game," said the new Liverpool right back.

"I have always enjoyed the physical side anyway and this has helped me fit
in over here. I think I can probably be a bit more aggressive but I'm still
learning about English football."

He added: "What Mr Benitez did in Spain with Valencia was excellent.
Getting them to win two league titles plus the Uefa Cup as well last season
was a very good achievement.

"He's trying to build a very strong team here at Liverpool also, but it is
going to take time. I think he will build a very compact team, and he is
constantly reminding us of his vision for success here.