Thursday, October 07, 2004

Honest Mellor biding his time - Official Site

Official LFC Website, 7 Oct 2004
HONEST MELLOR BIDING HIS TIME
By Mark Platt

Despite scoring three goals in five games for the reserves this season, Neil Mellor has honestly admitted he's not yet ready to be considered for a first team recall.

A knee injury in pre-season frustratingly denied the prolific young striker the chance to make an early impression on new boss Rafael Benitez and he's yet to figure in his plans.

An impressive strike rate for the Reds' second string, however, suggests Mellor now deserves a chance to stake his claim for a first team striking berth but he understands why that opportunity has not yet come his way.

"My season has only just begun because I missed a lot of pre-season and I'm gradually getting my fitness back to the level I need it to be," says Mellor.

"I think I need a few more reserve games under my belt, a couple more goals and then I can start fighting for a place on the bench.

"Rafa has been very positive towards me. He said he'll give me a chance but obviously that will only come when he feels the time is right and to be honest I've not played well enough so far this season.

"Whether that's because of my knee or not I don't know, but I'm determined to sort it out as quickly as possible in order to play myself into the gaffer's plans."

Mellor has warmly welcomed the arrival as Benitez as manager, which is not surprising when he explains how under former boss Gerard Houllier he feared for his Anfield future.

"The way I finished last season I was confident I could come back and carry on where I left off but Gerard Houllier had arranged for me to go on loan to Crewe. I was gutted over it because basically he was telling me that I wasn't in his plans for this season.

"It was clear that his intentions were to sell me and this put me on a downer but thankfully this all got scrapped when the new gaffer came in."

Anyone who has watched the reserves in action this season will have seen glimpses of that old Mellor magic and the stunning right-footed volley he recently scored against West Brom drew comparisons with a famous goal once scored by legendary Dutch striker Marco Van Basten.
"I'd be disappointed if that's not goal of the season," he laughingly recalls. "I'm certainly going to get the tape and watch it over and over again.

"Seriously though, I was well pleased with it. I think it was the best I've ever scored. Goals are important to me and whether it's for the reserves or the first team, I just love scoring."