Thursday, October 07, 2004

[lfc-news] Kewell determined to silence his critics - Post

Liverpool Daily Post, 7 Oct 2004
Kewell determined to silence his critics
By David Prior Daily Post Staff

HARRY KEWELL has vowed to finally come good for Liverpool after admitting he can do "a lot better".

The 26-year-old Australian has struggled again this season to live up to the form which initially suggested the £5million it took to prise him from Leeds a year ago was a true bargain.

But since those opening weeks he has failed to attain much consistency and has seen his place come under threat this term from youngster Stephen Warnock.

However Kewell, who is currently in Brisbane preparing for Australia's World Cup qualifying double-header against the Solomon Islands, is certain he will soon prove his critics wrong.

He said: "I know I can do a lot better. There are things I have to improve on and there are things the team has to improve on as well. There's a lot more to come from me, that's for sure.

"I am one of my biggest critics where football is concerned. I never play a good game. I always think I can do things better. I am quite sure my form will improve over the rest of the season. "We have a new manager here and it's a transition time for all of us. The boss will get the best out of the team and out of the players.

"The important thing is I know what I am capable of. If people want to criticise me then fair enough. I know what I can do and I'm quite sure I'll do it. I'd like to see where the critics go then."

The winger also welcomed the pressure placed on him by Warnock, who has grabbed the leg-up offered to him this season by manager Rafael Benitez and is now a genuine alternative for the left-midfield berth.

Kewell added: "I hadn't heard of him really before I came here but he has done well whenever he's had a chance.

"Stephen has worked very hard and done very well this season. Fair play to him for that.

"It's always good to have someone pressurising you for your place in the team because it should bring the best out of you.

"Competition for place is always healthy and it doesn't worry me at all. It was always my dream to play for Liverpool and I'll give anything to play my part in achieving success here."

Meanwhile defender Josemi has revealed how quickly he is settling in to life on Merseyside. The 24-year-old, who Benitez brought to Anfield in a £2million deal from Malaga, has taken less than 10 games to cement his place at right-back.

And he admits that has largely been down to the welcome he has received. He said: "The weather, the people here, the fans, plus everyone who works at the club are making it really easy for me to get used to my new surroundings which is important when you come to a new club and a different country."

Steven Gerrard has confirmed he hopes his recovery from a broken foot will not be delayed by the minor operation he underwent yesterday afternoon when the skipper had a screw inserted in his broken metatarsal.

"I spoke to the surgeon and he explained that if I just left the bone to heal normally I could have been looking at another eight weeks out on top of the two I've already missed.

"By having a screw inserted in my foot, the bone will set in place and may heal a lot quicker. I'm still looking at another six weeks from now, but the operation isn't because of a new problem.

"It's just a way of getting me fit sooner."