Saturday, October 09, 2004

Smicer eyes January return

Smicer helped the Czech Republic to the Euro 2004 semi-finals
Liverpool's Vladimir Smicer has hailed his knee surgery as a success and is working towards a January comeback.

The 31-year-old had been warned there was a 25% chance the operation could end his career at the top level.

"If all goes well, I'll be running at the start of December and playing again in January," the midfielder told the club's official website.

"There was a chance it wouldn't work out but the medical people are confident I'll come back on schedule."

Smicer, who helped the Czech Republic to the Euro 2004 semi-finals, aggravated a long-standing problem with the ligament in his right knee during Liverpool's pre-season tour of the United States.

The recovery should give Smicer, whose contract runs out at the end of the season, the chance to impress new Liverpool boss Rafael Benitez.

Xabi Alonso, Antonio Nunez and Luis Garcia have all been recruited by Benitez, increasing the competition in midfield, but Smicer is determined to fight for a new contract.

"I know I'm in a difficult situation with my contract but all I can do is get into the team and prove to people I deserve a new deal," said Smicer.

"I've been injured a lot lately so I don't know if I will be offered a new contract. If I could choose to stay then I would, without a doubt but we'll have to wait and see what happens."