Friday, October 08, 2004

Baros laments Barca bid

Milan Baros failed to do himself any favours in this interview on the Sky Sports web site.
by Mark Buckingham - Last Updated 8 Oct 2004

Liverpool striker Milan Baros admits he is disappointed Barcelona failed with a bid for his services during the summer.

The Czech Republic international's exploits in being top scorer at Euro 2004 heightened interest in his services, with Real Madrid and Roma also among his suitors.

Baros has revealed Catalan titans Barcelona are his favourite team and he dreams of running out at Camp Nou.

While he is now focused on his Anfield future, Baros is hopeful that Barcelona will revive their interest in his attacking ability at some point during his career.

"There were offers from Real Madrid and AS Roma but it's gone," Baros told MF Dnes.

"I only felt bad about the failed bid from Barcelona.

"I have loved them since I was a child. And now, they play fantastically. Maybe it can happen in the future.

"What wasn't in the summer, can be in the future. I will only be 23-years-old (next summer)."

The former Banik Ostrava starlet concedes he was contemplating leaving Liverpool at the end of last season after being perceived as a back-up forward by old boss Gerard Houllier.

The Frenchman's successor Rafa Benitez has called on Baros regularly and he is now a first choice striker at Anfield, particularly after the sale of Michael Owen.

Though Baros will not speak ill of Houllier, he is thankful Benitez was appointed on Merseyside to reignite his Reds career.

"If the coach had stayed, I would have wanted to leave," he continued.

"Then, Mr Benitez came in and I said to myself, 'I will try it and then we will see'.

"I will never say a bad word against Houllier. I'm grateful for how he moved me up. Does everyone transfer from Ostrava to Liverpool?

"He simply had his favourite players, in which he had confidence. In spite of that, he moved my career very high.

"Michael Owen has left, so one place in attack is now free, I have more space and I play periodically.

"I'm pleased even if we haven't played very well from the start of the season. We have four new players and a new coach.

"I feel we are getting better and better with every training session. I think we will do well."