Tuesday, January 31, 2006

[Liverweb] Latest News

The date for the FA Cup game against man United has been confirmed
as Saturday Feb 18. The kick off will be 12.30

Mark Gonzalez has joined Real Sociedad on loan for the rest of the
season. It is hoped that after that Gonzalez will be given a
Spanish passport and he could then complete his move to the Reds.

David Raven has joined Tranmere for the rest fo the season on loan.

A move for Victor fell through due to a disagreement between Victor
and Deportivo about his severance pay.

Finally the only other deal that should go through before the
transfer window shuts tonight is a loan deal for Florent Sinama
Pongolle to Blackburn.

Finally an interview of Robbie Fowler today.

Robbie, I guess dreams do come true, don't they?

"Yes. I think if you pray enough for things, well I'm proof that
they can happen. I'm absolutely delighted to be back. I feel like a
kid waking up on Christmas morning every day now! It's fantastic and
it's something that I have wanted to happen for such a long time. I
am very glad that it has come about again."

When did you first get an inkling that this deal would happen?

"Probably on Wednesday night. Obviously there were a few rumours
flying around before then and, like everybody else, I wanted them to
be true. Friday, when it all got sorted, was a really surreal day.
When Mr Parry put the contract in front of me, I didn't have to read
it. I was very confident in what I was doing and it is an absolutely
fantastic position in to be in - having the chance to come back here
and I am hoping that I can repay the manager's faith in me."

Has it been emotional and have there been tears shed?

"No, if I am being honest I haven't shed any tears, but I think that
you can all tell by the look on my face just how much it means to me
to come back. It's something that I have wanted to happen for a long
time. It's always nice coming back to your first love and thankfully
now I'm here."

Is this move the ideal motivation for you at this stage in your
career?

"It would be wrong to say that I wasn't motivated any where else but
obviously when a club of Liverpool's stature comes in for youÂ… I
think it's only normal that you should want to come to a club like
this and, obviously I am no different from any other player, but
because of my past playing for Liverpool, it means an awful lot more
to me than it would to any other player."

Can you be objective about what you feel you can provide for
Liverpool or what kind of state of fitness you are in?

"I have got to go off what the manager thinks and whatever the
manager says, goes. He can assess me on the training pitch. The
decision is ultimately down to the manager and nobody else."

Any word on Manchester City, because we hear that Stuart Pearce was
instrumental in this move...

"Yes, he has been very good. Once I was aware of Liverpool's
interest, I told Stuart Pearce and the Chief Executive at Man City
and they both looked in my eyes and instantly knew what I wanted.
With a lot of help from them and a lot of help from Mr Parry and Mr
Benitez, the move was made possible."

If you walk around Anfield at the moment, they say 'God' is back.
The people here seem overjoyed, have you had much contact from
people from around the area?

"Well, on Friday my phone never stopped, it was just red hot. Coming
back I sort of half-expected a little bit of publicity but the
amount of press coverage I've received and the people phoning into
the radio stations; it has been nothing short of magic and I am
very, very grateful for it."

Have you completely managed to forget about Round One? Obviously
walking out of here four years ago was very painful for you - has
all that gone now?

"Of course, it's all gone because I'm back here now. Obviously I was
sad to leave, but I'm back and it feels great. Now I have got other
things to look forward to like putting on the Red shirt again and
walking out of the tunnel will be something I'm really looking
forward to."

And plenty of familiar faces because there are a lot of people here
from four years ago...

"Yes but there are a lot of new players here as well and the manager
has spent well. No disrespect to the last time I was here but this
squad is a much better squad. I think any player coming in would be
very, very impressed looking around the dressing room and looking at
the players out on the training pitch.

The manager said that he feels you can help the club step up to the
next level. Do you feel that you have joined a club that is going in
that direction?

"Well, what they achieved last year was amazing and this year they
have had a fantastic record in terms of not conceding. If I can help
in any way at all by raising any one's performance or whatever, then
it is beneficial to me and to the club."

You said you were in Istanbul on that famous night. Did you feel any
regret that you had left all this behind?

"Well, that night I was just like any other Liverpool supporter in
that I wanted to be on the pitch. I thought that it was over at half-
time and I don't know what Mr Benitez said before the second-half,
but I'm looking forward to his team talks now and hopefully they can
have a similar effect on me."

How does it work in the dressing room? Have you got your old peg
back?

"No, I haven't. A lot of people have asked what number I will be but
I'm not really bothered about that. Numbers mean nothing to me; it's
the badge on the front that I care about and that's what means the
most.

Manchester United in the FA Cup. What do you think about that?

"That's a massive, massive game. All the lads will be delighted with
that draw and if you want to win competitions, you have to beat the
big teams so it doesn't really matter what round you beat them as
long as you do."

Walking out in front a load of photographers is not very emotional
but have you thought about what it is going to be like when you walk
out in front of the Kop?

"No, not really. I don't think I will really be able to until it
happens but I think when it does happen, I'll feel it."

Does it all feel natural? Does it feel like home again when you walk
out and see that 'This is Anfield' sign?

"It's actually a funny feeling at the moment because I'm not really
used to it again yet. I'm not normally a nervous lad but coming into
training on Saturday morning, I was a touch nervous and like I said
before, a kid on Christmas morning doesn't even come close to the
emotions that I was feeling."

What about your family and your mates? Did you discuss it with them?
And what do they think about you returning?

"Everyone is absolutely delighted for me but they have always wanted
me to come back. If I'm honest, I didn't ever think it would happen
but it's what they've been praying for and well. I'm here now, so
fingers crossed that I do well."

How clear are you in your own mind about what you want achieve this
time around?

"I don't think it's about what I personally want to achieve. It's
not about any individual player. The aim of anybody playing for
Liverpool is to win as many trophies as you can as a team and win as
many games as possible. The more games you win, the more trophies it
leads too."

You have only been given a six-month deal. Has anybody told you what
you have to do to secure a longer-term contract?

"No, nobody has told me what I have to do. I think I know myself
what I have to do. I know it's only a short-term deal but hopefully
I'm very, very good here and I would like to stay for as long as I
can. It's just solely down to me. If I perform well, then the
manager and Mr Parry will sit down and discuss my future. I'm not
getting carried away and I have got six months to prove myself. For
now, I just want to enjoy that time."

For every first team result ever log on to the Liverweb season archive at
http://www.liverweb.org.uk/archive.htm
Choose from Each season and see all those pre-season friendlies and
testimonials as well as team photos and league and cup results

Whatever Liverpool FC you need it's all there in Liverweb. If it's not
mail me back and ask me.
Liverweb is your one stop site for everything LFC

Get News updates on Liverpool and Liverweb by joining it's mailing list
To join send an email to liverweb-subscribe@yahoogroups.com

Liverweb - your one stop site for everything LFC

Yahoo! Groups Links

<*> To visit your group on the web, go to:
http://groups.yahoo.com/group/liverweb/

<*> To unsubscribe from this group, send an email to:
liverweb-unsubscribe@yahoogroups.com

<*> Your use of Yahoo! Groups is subject to:
http://docs.yahoo.com/info/terms/