Sunday, April 17, 2005

[lfc-news] Rafa: We were unlucky not to win - Official Site


------------------------ Yahoo! Groups Sponsor --------------------~-->
Give the gift of life to a sick child.
Support St. Jude Children's Research Hospital's 'Thanks & Giving.'
http://us.click.yahoo.com/5iY7fA/6WnJAA/Y3ZIAA/2_TolB/TM
--------------------------------------------------------------------~->

Official LFC Website, 16 April 2005
RAFA: WE WERE UNLUCKY NOT TO WIN
By Steve Hunter

Rafael Benitez felt his side played well and did everything they could
to beat Tottenham Hotspur and said they were just plain unlucky.

Benitez felt his team controlled the game in the second half and created
enough chances to win the match.

Benitez said: "We played a very good game. For the last 15 minutes of
the second half we played good high tempo football. The players worked
very hard and we had shots, got crosses into the box, missed a penalty.
Morientes missed two great chances and Luis Garcia had a really good chance.

"I thought we were unlucky and I am a frustrated manager. The only thing
is you must score when you have great chances."

The Reds boss also praised the contribution made by Xabi Alonso who
played 80 minutes.

Benitez said: "Xabi played well. At half-time he was a little tired and
I thought about taking him off but then he can the ball and make things
happen. He did very well and he is very important to us."

Steven Gerrard has held his hands up and accepted the blame after his
missed penalty cost the Reds the chance of three points.

It could have been a crucial victory for Rafa's men had Gerrard not
blazed his second half penalty high and wide after he had been sent
tumbling inside the area.

He said: "I'm very frustrated over the penalty miss because I should
have scored it. I'd like to apologise to the fans and the players for
not scoring. I blame myself for the fact we haven't won today.

"I decided to go for power and kept my head down as I ran to the ball.
The lads have told me their goalkeeper went early so if I'd looked at
him I would have been able to pass the ball in.

"The last time I took a penalty I went for placement and missed so
that's why I went for power this time. I think that's the end of me on
penalties from now on.

"I could have won it from open play as well with a shot which hit the
post, but it just wasn't my day today. I hope to get the chance to make
amends over the remaining games of the season.

"We dominated the last ten minutes of the first half and all of the
second so it's really disappointing that we haven't got the three points."

Unsubscribe: lfc-news-unsubscribe@yahoogroups.com
http://www.lfc-list.org.uk/

Yahoo! Groups Links

<*> To visit your group on the web, go to:
http://groups.yahoo.com/group/lfc-news/

<*> To unsubscribe from this group, send an email to:
lfc-news-unsubscribe@yahoogroups.com

<*> Your use of Yahoo! Groups is subject to:
http://docs.yahoo.com/info/terms/