Monday, April 25, 2005

[lfc-news] Hyypia hits out at lack of effort - Echo


------------------------ Yahoo! Groups Sponsor --------------------~-->
Help save the life of a child. Support St. Jude Children's Research Hospital's
'Thanks & Giving.'
http://us.click.yahoo.com/6iY7fA/5WnJAA/Y3ZIAA/2_TolB/TM
--------------------------------------------------------------------~->

Liverpool Echo, 25 April 2005
Hyypia hits out at lack of effort
By Chris Bascombe, Liverpool Echo

SAMI HYYPIA today delivered a damning verdict on the poor attitude which
is wrecking Liverpool's chances of Champions League football next season.

The Anfield vice-captain blamed the latest abject defeat at Selhurst
Park entirely on the lack of hunger in the visitors, declaring: "Crystal
Palace wanted to win it more than us."

Liverpool can only finish in fourth if they win their remaining three
games - including a trip to Arsenal - and if Everton collect just five
of their last 12 points.

Hyypia accepts the chances of catching their neighbours are increasingly
unlikely and pulled no punches in his explanation for another missed
opportunity to reduce the gap.

"The game may have changed a bit when Milan Baros went off, but I
thought they wanted the result more than us. It seemed they put in more
tackles than us," said Hyypia.

"If you've seen the game, don't you agree with that? I was on the pitch.
I saw what happened out there. I don't think enough of us were up for it.

"Sometimes it's like that and you need to get rid of this. There are
many games this season where we've dropped points and it's been the same
thing.

"Personally, I look at myself after every defeat and think what could I
have done better? I expect every other player in the team does the same.

"It's not that I'm blaming other players. It's just that we all have a
responsibility to look at ourselves individually because then the team
will do better.

"We had a chance to get closer but we didn't take it. It's very
frustrating. We have to still believe in ourselves. I'll never give up
as long as there is a chance and I'm sure everyone else in the side
feels the same. But it's going to be more difficult now."

Rafa Benitez felt Palace's physical approach contributed to Liverpool's
demise, but he was just as angry with the lack of resistance in his own
players to the host's tactics.

Milan Baros needed four stitches in his knee after some particularly
rough treatment, but he should be fit for the trip to Stamford Bridge.

Hyypia recognises winning the Champions League may now be the best hope
of qualifying for next year ' s competition.

"It's a massive game on Wednesday and we'll have to be up for it," said
Hyypia.

"Nobody should need motivation. This is the Champions League and there's
a great chance to reach the final.

"I've never been this far before and I want to take it because it may be
my last chance. I'm not a young player any more. There's an opportunity
which I don't want to let pass me by.

"It will be tough but I think we have a great chance."

Unsubscribe: lfc-news-unsubscribe@yahoogroups.com
http://www.lfc-list.org.uk/

Yahoo! Groups Links

<*> To visit your group on the web, go to:
http://groups.yahoo.com/group/lfc-news/

<*> To unsubscribe from this group, send an email to:
lfc-news-unsubscribe@yahoogroups.com

<*> Your use of Yahoo! Groups is subject to:
http://docs.yahoo.com/info/terms/