Thursday, July 21, 2005

[lfc-news] Crouch interview - Official Site

Official LFC Website, 21 July 2005
PETER CROUCH: THE FIRST INTERVIEW
Steve Hunter

Read what Peter Crouch has to say about his new career with Liverpool in
his first interview since signing a four year deal with the Reds.

~ Liverpoolfc.tv: Welcome to Liverpool Peter, it must be a great thrill
for you to be here.

Peter Crouch: I'm really thrilled. It was up in the air where I was
going to be this season but to join a club like this is something special.

~ Speculation has been going on for many weeks, but were you always
hopeful it would come to fruition for you?

As soon as I knew about the interest from Liverpool a few months ago I
was eager to come, just like anyone would. It's a club with a great
tradition and with the success last year it is a challenge that I'm
really relishing. I'm pleased it has come off.

~ So when did you first hear that Rafael Benitez wanted to bring you here?

I think they made an official bid a month ago for a certain amount and I
knew they were interested so I was always keen. When Liverpool are
interested it's difficult to think about any other team. I know there
were a few other teams interested but I had my heart set on coming here.

~ So what are your first impressions of Anfield and the training ground?

Superb. Straight away when you walk in and you see the facilities in
place. I knew what a big club this was but until you get here you don't
quite realise how big. I'm really looking forward to the challenge.

~ You've met Rafael Benitez briefly on Wednesday morning, what did he
have to say to you?

He was just really pleased that we've wrapped it all up and I can just
get on and concentrate on pre-season here at Liverpool. We've got big
games coming up already which is what both of us wanted. We will speak
more over the rest of the week as the team were rushing off to get a
flight back to Switzerland when I saw him. He said he wanted to have a
chat with me out there. I am looking forward to hearing his thoughts and
playing in a few games.

~ So what qualities do you think you will bring to this team?

I am different and my height is obviously an advantage. Last season I
scored a few goals and I would like to think I will bring goals to this
team and I think there is more to my game than my height. You can play
the ball into me and I'd like to think I can bring other players into
play and create goals from there as well.

~ In the second half of last season you hit a real purple patch in front
of goal so are you confident you can repeat that sort of scoring form at
Liverpool?

Without a doubt. I'm as confident as I've ever been and joining up with
England was a great boost for me as well. That was great and I didn't
feel out of place at all and I really enjoyed it. I think coming to
Liverpool is a natural progression and I'm really looking forward to it.

~ You've walked into a squad where there is going to be a tremendous
amount of competition for places as well.

Of course. You don't expect to come to a club like this and expect not
to have to compete with other players. I think there are a lot of good
players here and I'm not going to make any bones about it, it will be
difficult to break into the side. I am confident that I will do and that
when I do I will stay there.

~ You are also joining the European champions, did you watch the road to
Istanbul last year and follow the team's progress?

Yes, it was amazing to win the tournament. I always felt they were
capable of it and after getting over the hurdle of Chelsea I think it
seemed to be their tournament. I'm pleased we won it and hopefully we
can emulate something along those lines this year.

~ Did you watch the final?

Yes, I was away with England and I was with a few of the Chelsea boys as
well who were looking on enviously! Obviously they would have loved to
have been part of it. For Liverpool to win it was a great achievement
and we've got to build on that now. The manager is bringing in his sort
of players and starting to form his own team and I'm sure he will be
even more successful in the years to come.

~ I know you don't know him too well yet but are you impressed with Rafa
Benitez and the success he has had in the game?

I think he has brought in good players and in his time in Spain he was
very successful. He got off to a flier here and won the Champions
League. The club has won that now and we will have to build on that in
the future.

~ Do you know any of the Liverpool players or any members of the squad?

I speak to Jamie Redknapp quite regularly and I know him well. He had
great things to say about the club and he told me I am joining the best
club in the world. From the short time I have been here it looks a great
set-up and there's Steven Gerrard and Jamie Carragher here from the
England squad. I'm just looking forward to getting out there and meeting
the rest of the lads.

~ So how much did you speak to Jamie Redknapp about this place?

I have spoken to him a lot as I knew Jamie from our time with
Southampton. He is great and I know his dad is manager at Southampton
but he knew what was best for me. I had a long chat with Jamie and he
told me what a great club it was, not that I didn't know that anyway.

~ How did he sell the club to you?

He just said he spent a long time here and how he enjoyed living here
and he said the Liverpool fans are the best in the country. He told me
that when they are on your side you can't fail to hear them. Obviously I
know that from the games I watched last year in the Champions League.
Jamie just sold the club full stop really for me.

~ What is your experience of playing at Anfield so far in your career?

I haven't had too many experiences of playing here but I've been up here
as a fan quite a bit. I was injured when Southampton played here last
season and I've got a few friends up here who are season ticket holders
so no doubt they will be pestering me!

~ What's your target then this season, how can you improve as a player
and how much more is there to come from you?

I think there's a lot more. Although I finished last season well
hopefully I'll get a run from the start this time that I didn't have
last year. I think I'll do well and I think I'll definitely bring
another option to the team and hopefully it can be as successful as last
year.

~ People always say about you that you are good in the air because of
your height but also a good touch as well?

I'd like to think so. I'm just desperate to play games and show everyone
what I can do. When people do see me play they are often surprised I can
play on the floor as well and I'd like to think I can bring that to the
team and also be a different option.

~ Are you looking forward to the prospect of playing Champions League
football as well?

Of course yes, what a big draw it is that the team are in the Champions
League. I'm really looking forward to it and am looking forward to
improving our Premiership position from last year. I think we will do that.

~ You come here to be successful, so how confident are you that you can
win trophies with Liverpool?

Very confident. Liverpool built their reputation on winning trophies and
are the most successful club in Britain and we need to keep it that way.
I'm sure we can do.

~ Are you glad that the speculation is over and you can get on with your
career with Liverpool now?

Yes of course, it's frustrating not knowing where you are going to be
but this is a club I would like to stay at for as long as possible.

Unsubscribe: lfc-news-unsubscribe@yahoogroups.com
http://www.lfc-list.org.uk/

Yahoo! Groups Links

<*> To visit your group on the web, go to:
http://groups.yahoo.com/group/lfc-news/

<*> To unsubscribe from this group, send an email to:
lfc-news-unsubscribe@yahoogroups.com

<*> Your use of Yahoo! Groups is subject to:
http://docs.yahoo.com/info/terms/