Wednesday, July 20, 2005

[lfc-news] Reds complete Crouch deal - Official Site

Official LFC Website, 20 July 2005
REDS COMPLETE CROUCH DEAL
By Paul Eaton

Liverpool have today completed the signing of Peter Crouch from
Southampton on a four year deal.

The 24 year old striker successfully completed his medical today before
signing his Anfield contract. Crouch will wear the 15 shirt that was
previously worn by Senegal international Salif Diao.

Crouch will now join up with his new Liverpool team-mates in Switzerland
and is in line to make his debut for the Reds against Olympiacos on
Saturday night.

The former Southampton man becomes Rafael Benitez's sixth signing of the
summer as the manager looks to build a squad capable of challenging for
honours once again this season.

"I'm delighted we have signed Crouch," said Benitez today. "He is a good
player with a lot of good qualities and his arrival will give me more
options up front.

"I think he will be ready for the game against Olympiacos on Saturday
night. It depends on his physical condition but he has been training
with Southampton so he should be okay."

A delighted Crouch said: "I am thrilled to be joining a club as
prestigious and successful as Liverpool. Once I heard of their interest
in me it was hard not to think about what it would be like to pull on
the famous red shirt and play in front of the Kop, but I was also very
aware of my responsibilities towards Southampton.

"After a lot of thought I requested the permission of the Chairman and
Board of Directors of the club to talk to Liverpool. Southampton bought
me from Aston Villa and allowed me to play regularly in the Premiership,
resulting in an appearance for England in the summer. This helped my
career tremendously and has now given me the opportunity to move to
Liverpool and play on an even bigger stage, something that no-one could
realistically expect me to turn down.

"Under almost any other circumstances I would have committed myself to
helping Southampton regain their Premiership status. There is a great
group of players at the club and I am sure they will be successful in
the coming seasons.

"I am also very grateful to Harry Redknapp for everything he has done in
my career to date, he made it clear he would not stand in my way over
this transfer move. The Chairman hasalso handled the negotiations with
both me and the other clubs professionally and fairly and I would like
to thank both of them for the way they have conducted themselves during
these discussions.

"I would also like to thank all the Southampton fans for their support
and wish everyone at the club a successful season."

Unsubscribe: lfc-news-unsubscribe@yahoogroups.com
http://www.lfc-list.org.uk/

Yahoo! Groups Links

<*> To visit your group on the web, go to:
http://groups.yahoo.com/group/lfc-news/

<*> To unsubscribe from this group, send an email to:
lfc-news-unsubscribe@yahoogroups.com

<*> Your use of Yahoo! Groups is subject to:
http://docs.yahoo.com/info/terms/