Thursday, November 11, 2004

[lfc-news] Mellor wants a cup Spur - Echo


------------------------ Yahoo! Groups Sponsor --------------------~-->
Make a clean sweep of pop-up ads. Yahoo! Companion Toolbar.
Now with Pop-Up Blocker. Get it for free!
http://us.click.yahoo.com/L5YrjA/eSIIAA/yQLSAA/2_TolB/TM
--------------------------------------------------------------------~->

Liverpool Echo, 11 Nov 2004
Mellor wants a cup Spur
By Chris Bascombe, Liverpool Echo

CUP hero Neil Mellor today pleaded with manager Rafa Benitez to keep faith
in Liverpool's youngsters for the League Cup quarter-final at Spurs.

The 22-year-old striker feels he's finally shown the Spanish boss his
quality having been frustrated with himself prior to his 83rd minute goal
in last night's 2- 0 win over Middlesbrough.

Mellor admits he feared he'd be substituted early in the second half.

But his never-say-die attitude was rewarded and he repaid the manager's
faith with two clinical goals to dump out the holders.

"Liverpool fans who've seen me in the reserves know what I can do and it
was a nice feeling to take that form into a first team game," said Mellor.

"I had a few opportunities before the goal but I wasn't sure if I was
showing enough. I was worried I was coming off early in the second half,
but the gaffer kept faith in me and I hope I've rewarded him.

"I was looking towards the bench when I saw the subs about to come on and
who knows what might have happened if Sinama hadn't had a knock?

"But as a striker I've always been prepared to keep going, sticking at it
and getting in the right places until the last minute.

"The fact I scored two in the last few minutes proved the point, but I had
some chances in the first half and I thought I could have had a hat-trick.

"After I scored the first goal I just started flying in confidence.

It made a huge difference to me because before then I wasn't sure I was
doing myself justice.

"Scoring goals for the reserves is great, but to do it against a good side
like Middlesbrough, who are a very tough team to beat, feels a lot better.

"They may have played an under-strength side but they had plenty of quality
players out there. It wasn't much different to the one doing so well in the
UEFA Cup.

"I don't know if the gaffer will keep us all in against Spurs. We'll have
to wait and see. It would be great if he did because we've shown over two
cup games we can do it.

"None of the young lads have let themselves down."

Mellor has now given Benitez the dilemma he wanted in the aftermath of
Djibril Cisse's injury. But the youngster knows the next step is to hit the
target in the Premiership, having claimed three cup goals in his Anfield
career.

"It's sad there's a couple of injuries at the club, but I believe
everything happens for a reason and I hope I can follow this up with some
Premiership goals," he added..

"I've had a few chances in Premiership games but my next ambition is to get
my first league goals for the club. If I could do that in front of the Kop,
it would feel even better than this."

Florent Sinama-Pongolle suffered cramp in last night's win. He expects to
be fit for the visit of Crystal Palace on Saturday.

Antonio Nunez has now joined full training at Melwood. Both he and Steven
Gerrard are in line to play for the reserves on Monday.


Unsubscribe: lfc-news-unsubscribe@yahoogroups.com
http://www.lfc-list.org.uk/

Yahoo! Groups Links

<*> To visit your group on the web, go to:
http://groups.yahoo.com/group/lfc-news/

<*> To unsubscribe from this group, send an email to:
lfc-news-unsubscribe@yahoogroups.com

<*> Your use of Yahoo! Groups is subject to:
http://docs.yahoo.com/info/terms/