Tuesday, August 17, 2004

[lfc-news] Owen: Why Madrid is the place for me now - Post

------------------------ Yahoo! Groups Sponsor --------------------~-->
$9.95 domain names from Yahoo!. Register anything.
http://us.click.yahoo.com/J8kdrA/y20IAA/yQLSAA/2_TolB/TM
--------------------------------------------------------------------~->

Liverpool Daily Post, 17 Aug 2004
Owen: Why Madrid is the place for me now
By Ian Doyle, Daily Post Staff

MICHAEL OWEN has spoken for the first time about the reasons behind his
shock transfer from Liverpool to Real Madrid.

The 24-year-old completed an £8million deal to the Bernabeu at the weekend
in a move which saw Real midfielder Antonio Nunez move to Anfield.

And Owen admits he has moved to Madrid in the hope of improving himself
both on and off the pitch after ending an 13-year association with Liverpool.

"It was obviously hard to leave Liverpool and I certainly couldn't have
seen myself joining another English club from Liverpool, but to move to
Real Madrid is obviously a dream come true," said the England international.

"I'm going to be mixing it with some of the very best players in the world.
But I'm ready for that challenge."

He added: "I expect to be the main goalscorer in any team that I play in.
That is what I am in the team for, but I think this move will help me
develop as both a player and a person."

The speed of the departure surprised many and Owen has revealed he did not
have time to wish his former team-mates good luck before leaving for Spain.

"I haven't really had a chance to say my proper goodbyes to everyone at
Liverpool yet," said Owen to the FA's website, www.thefa.com.

"I sent them a fax before the Spurs game but it's been good speaking with
Carra, Stevie and Chris Kirkland to find out everything that's been happening."

The whirlwind events of the past week have yet to sink in with Owen,
although he remains convinced he has made the correct decision.

"It's the little things, like seeing my name on an England squad with Real
Madrid as the club beside my name," he said.. "I'm sure that kind of thing
won't wear off for a while.

"That's why I'm happy that I've taken this step. I've broken out to find a
new way, and I'm sure it will be the right way."

At least Owen won't be the only Englishman at Real.

"David Beckham called me when he heard what was happening," said Owen. "But
now everything's sorted, I'll be pestering him even more to find out about
everything I need to know!"

Meanwhile, Real Madrid coach Jose Antonio Camacho has dismissed rumours he
was unhappy with the signing of Owen.

"Nobody should make mistakes about my wishes: Owen will make Madrid more
complete and any play-ers of that quality are welcome here," he said.

"Owen will mean there is more competition to win a place and keep the other
strikers on their toes.

"Maybe some days they will not be called into the squad. For example
Ronaldo travels so much we don't know how he is always going to be."

Roberto Carlos has backed Owen to flourish at the Bernabeu.

"He is a very important player and he will be very important for Real
Madrid this season," said the Brazilian.

"He is a world-class player who I think will be a very big player for us.

"He will score a lot of goals for Real Madrid this season."


Unsubscribe: lfc-news-unsubscribe@yahoogroups.com
http://www.lfc-list.org.uk/

Yahoo! Groups Links

<*> To visit your group on the web, go to:
http://groups.yahoo.com/group/lfc-news/

<*> To unsubscribe from this group, send an email to:
lfc-news-unsubscribe@yahoogroups.com

<*> Your use of Yahoo! Groups is subject to:
http://docs.yahoo.com/info/terms/