Friday, July 08, 2005

[lfc-news] Mellor ready to fight for place - Official Site

Official LFC Website, 8 July 2005
MELLOR READY TO FIGHT FOR PLACE
By Paul Eaton

Neil Mellor has accepted he may have to settle for a place on the subs
bench this season - but he insists he's more determined than ever to
feature in the first team after recovering from injury.
Mellor is fit again after undergoing surgery on both knees last season,
forcing him to miss the Reds' glorious Champions League success.

With Benitez linked with a move for Southampton's Peter Crouch, and with
Fernando Morientes, Djibril Cisse, Milan Baros and Florent
Sinama-Pongolle all vying for striking positions in the team, Mellor
admits his chances may be few and far between this season - but he says
he's ready to impress whenever called upon.

"I can't expect to just walk into the side. There is no chance of that
happening, so just to feature on the bench would be an achievement in
itself," he said. "We've got some big reputations in the strikers we
have got here.

"It has been frustrating knowing that I could maybe have been on the
bench or appearing in a few of the Champions League games. But that is
the way football is - you have many ups and downs.

"I knew that when I was having the operation, so hopefully I can come
back stronger now.

"Every time I tried to run it was hurting me. Getting out of cars and
bed it was constantly hurting me for over a year. I just needed
something to be done about it, which is what I did.

"It has been frustrating, but it has been good to be around the lads
when they've achieved so much success at the end of the season."

Unsubscribe: lfc-news-unsubscribe@yahoogroups.com
http://www.lfc-list.org.uk/

Yahoo! Groups Links

<*> To visit your group on the web, go to:
http://groups.yahoo.com/group/lfc-news/

<*> To unsubscribe from this group, send an email to:
lfc-news-unsubscribe@yahoogroups.com

<*> Your use of Yahoo! Groups is subject to:
http://docs.yahoo.com/info/terms/