Friday, July 08, 2005

[lfc-news] Gerrard: I must work on Benitez relationship - Post

Liverpool Daily Post, 8 July 2005
Gerrard: I must work on Benitez relationship
By David Prior, Daily Post Staff

STEVEN GERRARD has admitted his relationship with Rafael Benitez "could
be better" - but vowed to grow closer to the Spaniard as he looks to
reaffirm his Anfield commitment.

The 25-year-old will today sign a new four-year deal worth £100,000 a
week as he seals a remarkable U-turn at the club he almost departed only
three days ago.

He has already explained the misunderstanding that lay at the heart of
the shattering last few days, but Gerrard has confessed he must
strengthen his alliance with his manager.

"Our relationship is okay," said the Liverpool skipper.

"But I admit it could be better and that is something I am going to work on.

"I spoke to him in the (Wednesday) morning and I am sure we will sit
down in the next few days for a chat.

"I don't think he has seen the best of me. There were times last season
when I wasn't happy with my performances. Things were on my mind.

"But I wouldn't say Liverpool have seen the best of me either. My best
years are ahead of me now and that is why I couldn't move. I feel I am
entering my prime and Liverpool deserve to be the ones who benefit from
that.

"They have made me what I am. I have been here from the age of eight and
I didn't feel it was right that I should go somewhere else."

There were much-publicised reports of bust-ups between the pair earlier
in the week, but Gerrard insisted: "All the talk of bust-ups is
nonsense. We have had a few heated discussions over the last five or six
days, but my respect for Rafa Benitez has not changed.

"He is one of the best coaches in the world and I understand that he
rates me as a player."

Gerrard has also shed more light on the turmoil that saw him almost
leave his boyhood club earlier this week.

"It was like I was heading towards the edge of a cliff and going to step
off, but deep down I didn't want to," said the midfielder.

"I have learnt a hell of a lot from the past few days and more than
anything, I have learnt that Liverpool is me - no-one else - and that
winning things here would mean more to me than winning them anywhere else.

"The whole thing has been a mess and I am not proud of the mess.

"I wouldn't wish what I have been through on anyone. It has been
horrible. I hold my hand up and recognise I have made mistakes and the
club has also apologised to me.

"Things were allowed to go too far. My head was spinning and I didn't
realise the point we had reached until it was nearly going to be too
late. I was upset and emotional.

"When I sat down I thought about Istanbul, the scenes when we came home
and toured the city with the trophy and all the supporters on the streets.

"I could talk for hours about the special times I have had here and
that's why I thought, 'Do I really want to walk away from this?'"

Unsubscribe: lfc-news-unsubscribe@yahoogroups.com
http://www.lfc-list.org.uk/

Yahoo! Groups Links

<*> To visit your group on the web, go to:
http://groups.yahoo.com/group/lfc-news/

<*> To unsubscribe from this group, send an email to:
lfc-news-unsubscribe@yahoogroups.com

<*> Your use of Yahoo! Groups is subject to:
http://docs.yahoo.com/info/terms/