Wednesday, March 23, 2005

[lfc-news] Carra dreaming of England glory - Official Site


------------------------ Yahoo! Groups Sponsor --------------------~-->
Give the gift of life to a sick child.
Support St. Jude Children's Research Hospital's 'Thanks & Giving.'
http://us.click.yahoo.com/5iY7fA/6WnJAA/Y3ZIAA/2_TolB/TM
--------------------------------------------------------------------~->

Official LFC Website, 23 Mar 2005
CARRA DREAMING OF ENGLAND GLORY
By Paul Eaton

Jamie Carragher is hoping his magnificent form for Liverpool this season
will be rewarded with a place in England's World Cup squad.

Despite acknowledging he is only sixth choice in the centre of defence
for his country, the Liverpool star still hopes to play his part in
helping his country to glory in Germany next summer.

England still have work to do to qualify for the finals, but with a
double header coming up over the next week against Northern Ireland and
Azerbaijan, Sven's men could soon be celebrating qualification for next
summer's showpiece event.

"You know, I didn't even dream of playing for England as a kid because I
thought it would be so far fetched," said Carragher. "To be doing it now
is incredible and I just count my blessings.

"I just hope I can keep playing well, keep scratching into the squads,
and who knows what happens? We really believe we will qualify for the
finals in Germany, and I think we have got a terrific chance when we get
there.

"No South American team has won in Europe apart from Brazil in 1958. And
when you look at the strength we have there is every right to have real
confidence.

"Centre-half is such an important position in any side, and to be
blessed there like we are is a real bonus to be taking into any tournament.

"My ambition is to be part of that. I missed out on Japan because of
injury and I'd really like to make up for that.

"I've just got to keep playing and hope I can be part of the squad, and
then who knows? I've got England caps, so I can dream a bit more can't I?"

He added: "If I'm being realistic about it, I don't have a chance of
making the side if everyone is fit. I've just got to keep plugging away,
turning up and hoping that there are injuries, which always seems to be
the case in my position.

"But if you look at the players we've got, then there can not be any
better in the world. There are four or five ahead of me, and they play
for four of the best teams in Europe.

"There's Sol at Arsenal, Rio with Man United, John Terry plays for
Chelsea and Woodgate at Real Madrid. It's incredible really and you can
see why we are confident of doing well in this World Cup."

* Luis Garcia remains on course to make his first ever appearance for
Spain after successfully coming through a training session yesterday.

Garcia picked up an ankle injury during Sunday's derby victory over
Everton and was expected to pull out of the Spanish squad.

But he completed a full training session on Tuesday and is in line to
make his first ever international appearance.

Spain face China in a friendly this weekend before a World Cup qualifier
with Serbia and Montenegro next week.

Unsubscribe: lfc-news-unsubscribe@yahoogroups.com
http://www.lfc-list.org.uk/

Yahoo! Groups Links

<*> To visit your group on the web, go to:
http://groups.yahoo.com/group/lfc-news/

<*> To unsubscribe from this group, send an email to:
lfc-news-unsubscribe@yahoogroups.com

<*> Your use of Yahoo! Groups is subject to:
http://docs.yahoo.com/info/terms/