Saturday, January 01, 2005

Henchoz condemns boss Benitez

Liverpool defender Stephane Henchoz
Source: BBC Sport
Out-of-favour Liverpool defender Stephane Henchoz has launched a scathing attack on the way Anfield boss Rafael Benitez has treated him.

"I am the king of the outlaws at Liverpool and my time is up at the club," said Henchoz, 30, whose contract runs out in the summer.

"As far as they are concerned, I no longer exist.

"If I now leave it will be as a free agent and Liverpool won't make a single penny from me."

The Swiss added: "After what the manager has done to me, I'm not going to give him any presents."

Henchoz has made just four appearances for Liverpool this season with his slide out of the first team beginning under former manager Gerard Houllier.

The Swiss centre-back says he has been made to train with the other "excluded players" and could be on his way to Southampton.

"I need to find a challenge that excites me and a club that really clicks with me," he said.

"I could still stay in England. There are already two or three possibilities and things are beginning to get moving."