Saturday, January 01, 2005

HENCHOZ: BENITEZ TREATED ME LIKE A***HOLE

From The Mirror

ONE DAY TO TRANSFER WINDOW.. AND KOP STAR CAN'T WAIT TO GO

John Cross


LIVERPOOL defender Stephane Henchoz last night delivered a parting shot at Rafael Benitez as he accused the boss of treating him like the 'lowest a***hole on Earth'.

Swiss international Henchoz is poised to become Harry Redknapp's first major signing for Southampton after being frozen out at Anfield by Benitez and will now be allowed to leave during the January transfer window.

Liverpool chief Benitez is also ready to let Croatian utility man Igor Biscan join Southampton in a cut-price deal as Redknapp begins to wheel and deal - and he is also interested in signing John Hartson from Celtic.

But centre-half Henchoz, a key figure in Liverpool's cup treble success in 2001, is angry at the way he has been discarded since Benitez took over last summer.

Henchoz, 30, said: 'I am the king of the outlaws at Liverpool, and my time is up at the club. In my mind I have already left.

'Besides, as far as they are concerned, I no longer exist. However, there is a minimum level of respect that they should show me.

'But ever since Rafael Benitez arrived at the club, he has treated me like the lowest a***hole on Earth. And I will never forgive him for that. At present I am not even in the squad for matches. Instead I habitually train with the other excluded players.

'If I now leave, it will be as a free agent and Liverpool won't make a single penny from me. After what the manager has done to me, I'm not going to give him any presents.

'That said, I don't want to leave just for the sake of leaving. I need to find a challenge that excites me, and a club that really clicks with me.

'I could still stay in England. There are already two or three possibilities, and things are beginning to get moving.'

Henchoz, who has played 69 times for Switzerland, is expecting to become a father in mid-January. His wife Catherine has already moved back to the family home in Neuchatel so she can give birth there.

'Right now my one priority is the baby's birth,' he said.

'It is due in mid-January, but will probably arrive sooner. For us it is out of the question for Catherine to have the baby anywhere else but in Switzerland.

'I am ready to jump on the first plane to be with her. I want to be there for the birth.'

Redknapp held talks with Benitez about Henchoz and 26-year-old Biscan and both players will be allowed to leave for nominal fees, representing major losses on players signed by former Anfield manager Gerard Houllier for £9million.

Croatian star Biscan, who joined from Dinamo Zagreb for £5.5m four years ago, is out of favour and is the man Redknapp wants most out of the Liverpool pair, but he is also keen on Henchoz if nothing better comes along.

Henchoz, who joined from Blackburn Rovers for £3.5m in 1999, wants to stay in the Premiership and is out of contract at the end of the season so Liverpool are keen to cash in and cut their losses.

But Redknapp is also closely monitoring Welsh striker Hartson and his contract negotiations with Celtic as his current deal expires at the end of the season.

Redknapp is keen on teaming up with Hartson again, having worked with him at West Ham before selling him after he was caught on television cameras kicking Eyal Berkovic in the head.

Hartson would like to stay at Celtic but if they do not make him a lengthy contract offer then he could quit in January - with Blackburn boss Mark Hughes having already made his interest clear.

Redknapp has made discreet enquiries about Hartson and regards him as a perfect replacement for the soon-to-be-departing forward James Beattie.