Sunday, October 03, 2004

Owen linked to Reds return - BBC


Owen linked to Reds return
Michael Owen
Liverpool manager Rafael Benitez has not ruled out re-signing Michael Owen.

He said: "I think new Fifa rules say you cannot transfer the one player twice in the same season. We need to wait until the summer."

And ex-Liverpool boss Gerard Houllier believes the striker should return to Anfield if he continues to be omitted from the Real Madrid starting XI.

"In an ideal world, I would say it would be good thing for him," Houllier told the BBC's Sportsweek programme.

Owen has started only one game for Real this season and recently admitted that if he had still not established himself in Spain at the end of the campaign, he would reconsider his future.

And according to newspaper speculation, Liverpool have first option on the striker if he decides to leave.

But Benitez urged the 24-year-old, who moved to Spain in August, to be patient.

"It's hard to establish yourself in a team like Real Madrid but Michael has a positive mind and if he works properly only time will tell," he stated.

"He's a good professional, and the only thing I can say to him is that he must do the things that he was doing here."

And Houllier does not expect Owen to panic.

"I think he will be coping," added the Frenchman.

"He is not used to being on the bench but I think he is a very clever person - he will know that is part of your football life sometimes.

"He's a very proud man so he will wait until he's given a chance. I hope his chance will come because when it does, he will grab it."

But Houllier did admit he was taken aback by the timing of Owen's move abroad.

"He always told me that at some stage he would like to have a foreign challenge," he said.

"So I was not surprised that he moved abroad but I was surprised he moved abroad this year because I thought he would wait another two years or so."