Saturday, October 02, 2004

Gerrard: No regrets at staying at Anfield - Official Site

Official LFC Website, 1 Oct 2004
GERRARD - NO REGRETS AT STAYING AT ANFIELD
By Mark Platt

Steven Gerrard insists he has no regrets about turning his back on a
multi-million pound move to Chelsea in the summer.
Had things turned out differently Gerrard could well have been lining up
against Liverpool this weekend.

But as the Reds prepare for Sunday's Premiership clash at Stamford Bridge
the skipper has revealed his only regret is that a broken metatarsal will
keep him out of the game.

Speaking exclusively to Liverpoolfc.tv at the club's Melwood training
headquarters, Gerrard said: "I've no regrets, not one at all. The only
regret I do have at the moment is that I'm injured. I wish I could be
playing for Liverpool against Chelsea at the weekend. But it's not to be.

"I decided to stay at Liverpool in the summer because I love the club and I
want to play in a red shirt, it's as simple as that. I did contemplate
moving, as I've said before, but I'm happy here and that's the way it is."

Despite his obvious disappointment at being out of action, Gerrard is
backing his team-mates to end a poor run of away form against the
high-flying Blues.

"We can go to places like Chelsea and get a result," he adds defiantly. "We
proved that last year. We are the underdogs again because Chelsea are doing
so well but the boys will definitely be up for it. I'll be watching and
cheering them on, and hopefully we'll get the right result.

Almost a fortnight after limping off the Old Trafford pitch, Gerrard admits
he's bored and itching to play again. He's due to undergo a scan on his
injured left foot on Monday and he's hopeful of being back in contention
for a return to the team within the original timescale of eight weeks.

"It's a nightmare but injuries are part and parcel of the game. I've just
got to get on with it and stay positive. I'd be a liar though if I said I
wasn't bored and fed up. There's nothing really I can do because I'm still
on crutches.

"I'm looking at maybe sometime around the middle of November to make a
comeback but it's an injury you can't rush in case you do it again."