Saturday, October 30, 2004

[lfc-news] Defensive duo staying put under new manager - Post

Liverpool Daily Post, 29 Oct 2004
Defensive duo staying put under new manager
By Ian Doyle, Daily Post Staff

THEY were seemingly on their way out of Anfield no sooner had Rafael
Benitez arrived.

But now defensive duo Steve Finnan and Djimi Traore have played their way
into the core of the Spaniard's squad as he formulates a team capable of
challenging for top honours.

Benitez yesterday insisted he wanted Traore to remain at the club after the
French full-back came close to moving across Stanley Park to Everton in August.

And Irish international Finnan revealed it never crossed his mind that he
may leave Liverpool, despite rumours of strong interest from Tottenham
Hotspur before the transfer window closed in September.

Benitez's signing of Josemi appeared to cast doubt on Finnan's future at
Anfield. But the £3.5million capture from Fulham has responded to the
challenge from the incoming Spaniard.

"This season has gone well up to now," said Finnan. "There were a lot of
rumours about my future here but nothing was said by me or the club and the
manager has played me in the majority of games this season, whether it be
at right midfield or right-back.

"I feel as though my performances have been good in the games I've played
so far.

"I've always been confident that I can stay and play in the team. It's
always down to the manager whether you are wanted or not but it never
entered my head to leave. I've been in his plans so far and now I just want
to continue what I've been doing this year.

"I want to win things with this club. That's why we're all here. It would
be nice to be up there in the Premier-ship this season and at least closing
the gap which was there last year. Who knows what could happen?

"The boss wants to win the league but this season is probably a
transitional one for him. If we could win one of the cups and be up there
with the top teams then it would be a good season."

Traore, meanwhile, has made the most of his chance to impress Benitez after
being handed the left-back role in recent weeks.

And the Liverpool manager said yesterday: "I want to keep Djimi here. I
said when I came that if we trained properly we would increase the level of
the players. Traore is playing well because he has more confidence. Before
the transfer window closed we had to make some decisions on players.

"Djimi was one of those who was worried he would not play a lot. I told him
he would play, but I didn't know how many games. I assured him he was an
important member of the squad. I wanted to have all the players here so I
could fight for every title.

"In August, a lot of clubs spoke to him and his agent but I told him he
would play and I wanted him to stay. I want him here for the whole season."