Monday, October 25, 2004

[lfc-news] Mellor hoping to be a Lion tamer - Official Site


------------------------ Yahoo! Groups Sponsor --------------------~-->
$9.95 domain names from Yahoo!. Register anything.
http://us.click.yahoo.com/J8kdrA/y20IAA/yQLSAA/2_TolB/TM
--------------------------------------------------------------------~->

Official LFC Website, 25 Oct 2004
MELLOR HOPING TO BE A LION TAMER
By Steve Hunter

Prolific reserve team striker Neil Mellor is hoping to get the nod from
manager Rafael Benitez to start in Tuesday's Carling Cup tie at Millwall
and show he has what it takes to be given a chance at Liverpool.
Benitez indicated that Mellor will play a part in the match at Millwall and
the striker is confident that he can do well after returning to fitness. He
suffered a blow pre-season when a knee injury kept him out of action for
six weeks but has since returned and scored five goals in seven matches so
far this season for the reserves.

Mellor hasn't played for the first team since the 2-1 defeat at Birmingham
on 23rd February 2003 when he appeared for the final five minutes replacing
Bruno Cheyrou. Mellor was also an unused substitute during the 2-0 UEFA Cup
home defeat by Celtic and since then was out of favour under the previous
manager Gerard Houllier.

An unsuccessful injury hit loan spell at West Ham followed before he
returned to Liverpool during the back end of last season and scored 10
goals in four games for the reserves.

Mellor was then all set to be shipped off to Crewe on loan under Houllier
at the start of this season before the arrival of Rafael Benitez blocked
the move.

Mellor told Liverpoolfc.tv: "If I get the opportunity to play against
Millwall I will be more than ready and can't wait for the game.

"I don't think I have been playing well this season and have to be honest
about that. Yes I got injured pre-season and was out for six weeks without
having a chance to show the new manager what I could do and that did set me
back.

"When I came back to Liverpool last season I was flying and scored four
goals in 10 games for the reserves and would have liked a first team chance
then, but because of the rules that wasn't to be.

"The previous manager Houllier tried to get me to go to Crewe on loan this
season which put me on a bit of a downer because I thought I would get a
chance the way I finished last season. However the new manager came in and
it all got scrapped which gave me a real confidence boost.

"I feel my form is getting better and there was an improvement against
Manchester United last week when I scored twice. I have worked hard on my
fitness and will continue to work hard and improve.

"I'm not sure what reception I will get if I do play from the Millwall fans
though. They were big rivals to West Ham last season and I remember it
wasn't the nicest of environments but I'd love to get out there and score a
few goals for the first team."

Mellor says he has been encouraged by the manager Rafael Benitez who has
been very open and honest with the 21-year-old.

Mellor said: "I went to see the manager last week just to have a chat with
him and I told him he hasn't seen me at my best so far this season. He was
very honest with me and told me to keep working hard, improve my fitness
and I would get a chance.

"He was really positive with me which was nice. The manager tells it like
it is, he is straight forward and honest which is what you need as a
player. He told me he was impressed with my goalscoring but I needed to
improve my fitness if I was to get into his first team.

"I know I have to improve my fitness and I will do that. This is my fourth
season in the reserves now and I want to be knocking on the first team door
now and at least get a place on the bench.

"I want to keep improving my level and I know when I will be ready and when
the time is right I will speak to the manager again, I'm not frightened
about that.

"The likes of myself, John Welsh, Darren Potter and Zak Whitbread are all
trying to make the breakthrough to the first team and seeing Stephen
Warnock get a deserved chance has given us all a big lift. Potter played 90
minutes in the Champions League qualifier and it's good and encouraging for
us young lads."


Unsubscribe: lfc-news-unsubscribe@yahoogroups.com
http://www.lfc-list.org.uk/

Yahoo! Groups Links

<*> To visit your group on the web, go to:
http://groups.yahoo.com/group/lfc-news/

<*> To unsubscribe from this group, send an email to:
lfc-news-unsubscribe@yahoogroups.com

<*> Your use of Yahoo! Groups is subject to:
http://docs.yahoo.com/info/terms/