Wednesday, August 24, 2005

[lfc-news] New boy Godwin loves the Anfield roar - Official Site

------------------------ Yahoo! Groups Sponsor --------------------~-->
Get fast access to your favorite Yahoo! Groups. Make Yahoo! your home page
http://us.click.yahoo.com/dpRU5A/wUILAA/yQLSAA/2_TolB/TM
--------------------------------------------------------------------~->

Official LFC Website, 24 Aug 2005
NEW BOY GODWIN LOVES THE ANFIELD ROAR
By Steve Hunter

The special Anfield roar that only a midweek European night in Liverpool
can bring was enough to persuade African defender Godwin Antwi that his
future lay in England with the soon to be crowned European Champions.

The Ghana born centre half, 17, who signed for Liverpool last week, was
taken to his first match at Anfield last season during the dramatic and
never-to-be forgotten win over Chelsea in the Champions League
semi-final, and absolutely loved the occasion and was really excited by
the atmosphere.

Speaking exclusively to Liverpoolfc.tv, Antwi said: "I really enjoyed
being at Anfield last season for the semi-final against Chelsea and it
made it even more special knowing I was going to sign for Liverpool. The
atmosphere was fantastic and I'm looking forward to seeing more games
this season."

Antwi is the first Ghana born player to represent Liverpool. One of his
heroes is the former Liverpool striker Titi Camara who hails from
Guinea. When I told him that Camara was a big fans' favourite at Anfield
there is a real glow in his eyes and he says he would love to emulate
that popularity at Liverpool, but knows he has a long way to go.

Antwi was born in Kumasi, Ghana on June 7th, 1988, roughly at a similar
time that Ian Rush was preparing to return to his roots coming back to
Liverpool after a year away in Italy with Juventus.

He is a centre half who is hoping to make a big impression in England.
He is a very intelligent young man who just wants to please everyone and
to repay the faith shown in him by the Liverpool coaching staff.

Antwi said: "I am very proud to be here and this is a dream for me.
Dreams do come true if you believe and keep working hard, and to play
for Liverpool is really something special for me. My head is spinning at
what has happened to me now playing for Liverpool and it is great to say
I play for the European Champions.

"My favourite position is centre half. It was Paco Herrera who spotted
me playing for Real Zaragoza. This is a fantastic chance for me, I
really like it here and I want to give everything for this club with all
my heart and I promise I will give my best. The city is very nice and
I've been made to feel very welcome here.

Antwi watched Liverpool's Champions League drama back in Spain with his
dad and said: "I watched the Champions League final with my father in
Spain. During the first half I went to sleep and I thought if I woke up
Liverpool would be winning then. When Steven Gerrard scored in the
second half my dad woke me up shouting 'Godwin, Godwin, we have scored!'
I stayed awake then and I was very excited!"

Godwin Antwi will be a regular member of Paco Herrera and Hughie
McAuley's reserve team squad this season. He made his debut in the 3-2
defeat by Everton on Monday and because of a striker shortage had to
play up front as a lone striker.

Now performing as a lone striker is a difficult role to play, especially
if you have never played there before, but Godwin gave a commendable
performance. He showed some nice touches and kept working hard for the
full 90 minutes and was close to a debut goal.

He said: "I enjoyed my first match and I played up front which was
something different for me, and I will play anywhere for the team but my
best position is centre half."

Unsubscribe: lfc-news-unsubscribe@yahoogroups.com
http://www.lfc-list.org.uk/

Yahoo! Groups Links

<*> To visit your group on the web, go to:
http://groups.yahoo.com/group/lfc-news/

<*> To unsubscribe from this group, send an email to:
lfc-news-unsubscribe@yahoogroups.com

<*> Your use of Yahoo! Groups is subject to:
http://docs.yahoo.com/info/terms/