Wednesday, May 18, 2005

[lfc-news] Vlad: Why I want to face Reds - Echo

------------------------ Yahoo! Groups Sponsor --------------------~-->
What would our lives be like without music, dance, and theater?
Donate or volunteer in the arts today at Network for Good!
http://us.click.yahoo.com/2xaSZB/SOnJAA/Y3ZIAA/2_TolB/TM
--------------------------------------------------------------------~->

Liverpool Echo, 18 May 2005
Vlad: Why I want to face Reds
By Chris Bascombe, Liverpool Echo

VLADIMIR SMICER hopes to get the chance to deliver a proper farewell to
Liverpool - by returning to Anfield as a Premiership opponent.

The Czech midfielder wants to remain in England next season and is
currently weighing up several offers from Premiership clubs.

Smicer missed an opportunity to play in front of The Kop for the last
time on Sunday, although he's still harbouring hopes of being on the
bench against AC Milan next Wednesday.

The 31-year-old will leave the club admitting his Liverpool career was
frustratingly inconsistent.

"It's sad for me to be leaving because when you spend six years of your
life at a club, it will always be in your heart," said Smicer..

"Liverpool is one of the biggest and best clubs in the world so I'm
sorry to be leaving. I was sad I didn't get the chance to play for the
final time at Anfield, but perhaps I will be back next season with a
different club. I would like to stay here because, for me, the
Premiership is the best league in the world.

"The Spanish league is more technical and Italy has always been strong,
but the atmosphere in Serie A is not the same as here. The standard of
football in this country is getting better and better, which is shown by
Chelsea and Arsenal and the fact Liverpool can get into the Champions
League Final."

Smicer admits his injury problems were disruptive in a stop-start stay
on Merseyside.

"The highest point was obviously winning five winners' medals in 2001,"
he said.

"That was a great season for us. My biggest regret is my injuries. I had
a difficult start and it seemed every time I was finding some form I was
injured.

"I know not everyone liked me as a player, but I had a lot of supporters
and good friends here and I just wish I hadn't suffered so many injuries
because then I could have shown more consistency.

"I feel my best games came when I played in a more central position
where I could get involved more. I was never a winger."

There is one final assignment for the likeable Czech before his
departure. The small matter of a trip to Istanbul, although he accepts
he faces a challenge to secure a place on the substitutes bench.

"I hope I can be involved," he said. "There would be no better way to
end a career at Liverpool than playing a role in the Champions League
Final. When I was injured, I dreamed Liverpool would play and beat AC
Milan in the San Siro.

"I hope this comes true. I played a small part against Bayer Leverkusen
and Juventus earlier in the competition but all I can do is wait and see
what happens next week.

"Now I'd just like to say goodbye to everyone at Liverpool and say how
proud I am to have been at the club. A victory next week will be the
best way to go."

Unsubscribe: lfc-news-unsubscribe@yahoogroups.com
http://www.lfc-list.org.uk/

Yahoo! Groups Links

<*> To visit your group on the web, go to:
http://groups.yahoo.com/group/lfc-news/

<*> To unsubscribe from this group, send an email to:
lfc-news-unsubscribe@yahoogroups.com

<*> Your use of Yahoo! Groups is subject to:
http://docs.yahoo.com/info/terms/