Saturday, May 28, 2005

[lfc-news] Stevie thanks magnificent Reds fans - Official Site

------------------------ Yahoo! Groups Sponsor --------------------~-->
What would our lives be like without music, dance, and theater?
Donate or volunteer in the arts today at Network for Good!
http://us.click.yahoo.com/2xaSZB/SOnJAA/Y3ZIAA/2_TolB/TM
--------------------------------------------------------------------~->

Official LFC Website, 28 May 2005
STEVIE THANKS MAGNIFICENT REDS FANS
By Steve Hunter

Captain fantastic Steven Gerrard saluted the Liverpool fans who saluted
their heroes on the tour of the city and said it was the greatest two
nights of his life.

Gerrard said the Liverpool fans are the best and was simply in awe at
the reception the team got from the supporters on the streets of Liverpool.

Gerrard said: "It was unbelievable. None of the players imagined there
would be so many people there, waiting to cheer us on.

"The scenes were incredible. I was sitting on the plane coming home with
my medal and thinking 'life can't get any better than this,' and then
you saw those fans everywhere.

"Someone told me there was about a million people on the route and it
was just so special.

"I can remember the celebrations following the cup treble in 2001, but
this was something else. The lads were just buzzing.

"For some of the foreign players it was a real eye-opener but this is
Liverpool Football Club, and that's why we never gave in against Milan
when it looked like a lost cause.

"The fans in Istanbul were brilliant and the welcome home topped off the
greatest night of my life. I'd just like to say thank you to everyone
who turned out on behalf of all the players. Those supporters are the best."

Gerrard also revealed he slept with the European Cup in his hotel
bedroom following the dramatic win over AC Milan.

Gerrard joked: "Well I didn't sleep with it but it was in my room! It
was just special and I just had to have the cup with me, lifting the cup
as Liverpool captain was just the best moment of my life."

Xabi Alonso said he was in awe and couldn't quite believe the amount of
supporters who came out to applaud Liverpool in their thousands during
the parade of the city.

Alonso said winning the Champions League and securing a fifth European
Cup for Liverpool was the proudest moment of his career.

Alonso said: "It's really difficult to describe how we feel. This really
is amazing to see all the people who came out to see us. I've never seen
celebrations like this and I didn't expect so many people.

"This is the biggest trophy of my career and in my first season with
Liverpool it is really special. We hope to win it a lot more in the future."

Alonso said playing in the Champions League final more than made up for
his despair at missing the Anfield semi-final with Chelsea.

Alonso said: "It was fantastic and it was just great to play in the
final. We had some incredible celebrations after the game as well."

Djibril Cisse says he can't quite believe his dream of playing and
scoring a goal in the Champions League final came true and said it was
one of the best moments of his life.

Cisse scored a vital penalty in the shoot-out victory over AC Milan and
the French striker said he was overwhelmed with the amazing support of
the fans on the parade of the city.

Cisse said: "It is great to see the people and I have never seen
anything like this. This is a special club with special fans.

"I was out for six months but I've come back to help Liverpool win the
Champions League. It's amazing and I can't believe my dream came true.
The way it has ended it has been a great season.

"This is one of the best days of my life. Just to get on in the match
was brilliant for me and to score a goal in the penalty shoot-out was
extra special. I was nervous before taking the kick as I knew how
important it was to the club and also to our wonderful fans."

Unsubscribe: lfc-news-unsubscribe@yahoogroups.com
http://www.lfc-list.org.uk/

Yahoo! Groups Links

<*> To visit your group on the web, go to:
http://groups.yahoo.com/group/lfc-news/

<*> To unsubscribe from this group, send an email to:
lfc-news-unsubscribe@yahoogroups.com

<*> Your use of Yahoo! Groups is subject to:
http://docs.yahoo.com/info/terms/