Tuesday, February 01, 2005

Murphy: I'm dying to face Stevie - he's best on planet

Feb 1 2005

Chris Bascombe, Liverpool Echo

DANNY MURPHY admits he has been looking forward all season to facing the man he believes is now the best midfield player in the world.

But the former Reds star also acknowledges it will be an out of the ordinary experience tonight when he comes across good pal Steven Gerrard.

Murphy faces his close friend for the first time in a pivotal fixture in the battle for fourth spot.

Gerrard was injured when the sides met at Anfield earlier in the season, so Murphy is anticipating tonight's clash with a combination of relish and trepidation.

"It's something I've been looking forward to all season," said Murphy..

"Stevie and I have been speaking about this for ages and thinking how strange it will be. As a player, you always want to test yourself against the best and as far as I'm concerned there's no midfielder in the world better than Stevie.

"And I'm not just saying that because he's my mate.

"Offensively, defensively, and in terms of athleticism and goalscoring from midfield, there's no-one better.

"I'm not sure what role he'll be playing tonight because I know he's been playing in a more forward role, but with Didi Hamann suspended I'd expect him to be against me in the middle. We should see quite a bit of each other and there'll be a lot of banter going on.

"I won't be so stupid as to get involved in many 50-50 balls against him, that's for sure.

"It's always strange playing against your mates. You give each other lots of respect, but you can't let that get in the way of your performance.

"It's not just Stevie, of course, but Carra, Ginger (John Arne Riise) and Sami Hyypia too, who I speak to on a regular basis. From the reports I've been getting, it seems Stevie and Carra have been the two outstanding players for the club this season, which is nice to hear."

After a slow start, 27-year-old Murphy is enjoying his best spell in London since his shock move last July.

The decision to leave was his after being told he was not guaranteed first-team football, and he knows although the circumstances are different, his pal faces a dilemma of his own at the end of this campaign.

Murphy said: "From a Liverpool fans point of view - and I am still a supporter - the idea of Stevie leaving the club is something nobody wants to contemplate.

"You just can't replace a player like that. It doesn't matter how much money someone offers you, you're never going to get someone who can do what he can.

"Stevie's said it's something he's going to look at when the season's over and I know he'll be a lot hap-pier to see a player of the calibre of Fernando Morientes at the club. That's the quality of signing Liverpool needs to convince him to stay.

"Being in the League Cup final also helps because I know how much he wants to lift trophies as a Liverpool player. If Liverpool can go further in the Champions League, it will all help to make sure Stevie stays.

"As a supporter, obviously I hope he does."

Charlton are one of the Premiership's form sides, creeping to the brink of a Champions League spot without anyone noticing.

After the hothouse of Anfield, the low-key Valley suits Murphy.

"At Liverpool every defeat was a crisis and every victory meant you'd 'turned the corner'," Murphy recalls.

"Here it's less intense. No-one really talks about us much and that allows you to just get on with your work. The London press are more interested in Chelsea and Arsenal than us, so we can just plod along nicely, getting good results.

"We're playing well and I'm very confident we can get a result tonight. Only Arsenal and Chelsea have given us a bit of a beating at The Valley, so our home form is pretty solid.

"Personally, I'm feeling a lot more settled. I've just moved into my house and I feel good about my game.

"I wish I was getting on the scoresheet a bit more. If we can get three points tonight, I'll feel even better."

Whatever the result, Murphy is determined to savour the occasion.

"Stevie and I will definitely be swopping shirts at the end of the game," said Murphy.

"Everyone wants a Liverpool jersey with Gerrard's name on the back, although to be honest, I'm not sure how many in Liverpool will want a Charlton top with my name on it!"