Wednesday, September 22, 2004

Stevie G speaks about his broken foot.

As we suspected during the game on Monday, Steven Gerrard had broken a metatarsal bone (the fifth metatarsal to be precise) in his foot. Various reports are putting his recovery time at anything from 8 to 16 weeks. Nobody knows of course how long it will take for him to come back, it's impossible to predict, but Stevie himself is pretty sure it will be sooner rather than later, saying "I want to be back in less than two months.

"As far as I'm concerned, this injury will keep me out for two
months and no longer," said Gerrard.

"I spoke to the surgeon yesterday and he told me it should be eight
weeks. I know people are comparing my injury to others who've had a
similar knock, like Wayne Rooney.

"But although there are similarities, there are also differences. I
don't think mine's as bad. I'm hoping that proves to be the case. In
fact, I'm hoping I could even get back earlier than people think,
but I don't want to set targets too early.

"I've got to just lie low and rest for a while. I've got a special
machine in my house I'll be using twice a day to help my recovery.
It's a devastating blow for me to miss any games, but I'll still be
going to the matches and supporting the lads. I'm still the captain
and have a big role to play, even if I can't be out there with the
lads."