Wednesday, September 01, 2004

[lfc-news] Benitez interview - Official Site

------------------------ Yahoo! Groups Sponsor --------------------~-->
Make a clean sweep of pop-up ads. Yahoo! Companion Toolbar.
Now with Pop-Up Blocker. Get it for free!
http://us.click.yahoo.com/L5YrjA/eSIIAA/yQLSAA/2_TolB/TM
--------------------------------------------------------------------~->

Official LFC Website, 1 Sept 2004
RAFAEL BENITEZ TALKS TO .TV
By Paul Eaton

Rafael Benitez talks to us about the closing of the transfer window,
Sunday's game at Bolton, the Cisse and Baros partnership, our start to the
season, referees, his new life in Liverpool and much more...

~ Rafa, with no new signings before the transfer deadline can we assume
you're happy with your squad?

Yes, I'm happy. I am also happy that the transfer window has now closed and
I have time to work with the team and with the squad of players we have here.

~ You've had a few days to reflect on the weekend game at Bolton. What went
wrong on that day?

A lot of things went wrong for us. We lost Kewell and Pongolle before the
game and then Hyypia after a couple of minutes. We had opportunities during
the game but we didn't play well. It was a difficult game for us because
Bolton were very aggressive. If we'd scored first then we would have had
more control of the game but the fact is we lost and we now have to work
hard to prepare for the next game.

~ Some people were surprised you left Djibril Cisse out at Bolton. What was
your thinking behind that decision?

I see the players during the week and then decide on the team. In the first
half at Bolton we didn't have Cisse but we had three good opportunities to
score and in the second half when we had Cisse there weren't as many clear
chances. It's more important to get players arriving in the box than it is
to have a lot of forwards on the field.

~ Xabi Alonso and Luis Garcia made their debuts at Bolton. Were you happy
with their performances?

I think they both played well but I know they can both play better. They
know their team-mates now, they are training well with us and I am sure
they will do even better for us in the future.

~ Garcia was unfortunate to have a goal wrongly disallowed at Bolton. What
differences have you noticed between officials in England and in Spain?

It's always difficult to talk about referees because over the course of the
season you will get good and bad decisions made for and against you. It's
the same in Spain and every week the questions are always about the
referees. In my opinion it's better not to talk about them at all.

~ How would you describe your start to the season after three matches?

I saw the team play in pre-season and was very pleased with our
performances. In the league so far we haven't had enough victories. I don't
want to keep saying this but we need time. I have told the supporters
before and I will tell them again that this team will improve and get to a
better level but we just need time. That's the only thing I can say.

~ Is your message to the fans then just to be patient?

I think the fans understand the situation better than me because they have
been waiting to win the title for 15 years and they have seen the team
playing over recent seasons. They felt that the team needed something
different and I can tell you we are changing a lot of things. We need time
to get to know each other, to learn about each other and to work together.
If people know me then they will know I am always fighting and working
because I have confidence in my staff and in my players. We will improve
our level, I am sure of that.

~ What have been the pleasing aspects from the first three games of the season?

As I said, I'm not happy because we need more victories. The good thing is
the team could have won the three games. If you come up against a team
which is better than yours to play a game which is impossible for you to
win then you say 'okay, we weren't good enough'. But this team is strong,
sometimes we play well and other times not so well. We are playing with a
spirit and that's important because I am sure in the future we will start
winning the games we are currently losing or drawing.

~ And what things have worried you most so far?

I don't think it's good for the players to talk about the future, about
trophies and titles. It is more important to talk about the next game and
at the moment we have only four players training with us because the rest
are away on international duty. We need to have all of our squad together
to think only about the next game.

~ Do you believe that Cisse and Baros can form a partnership to score
enough goals for you this season?

They need to learn more about each other, about their styles of play and
their movements on the pitch. That needs time as well. If they keep working
hard then little by little I am sure we will see the strength of them as a
pair.

~ Finally, how much are you enjoying life in the city away from football?

I spoke to my wife about this this morning and she told me she was very
happy. The children will go to school here, we are working on our house and
the sun has even come out for a couple of days. I am sure we will be happy
here.
I have only had a couple of days to look around the city since I came here.
I've been to the cathedral and also been shopping but I haven't had much
time to do anything else as I'm always here in Melwood.


Unsubscribe: lfc-news-unsubscribe@yahoogroups.com
http://www.lfc-list.org.uk/

Yahoo! Groups Links

<*> To visit your group on the web, go to:
http://groups.yahoo.com/group/lfc-news/

<*> To unsubscribe from this group, send an email to:
lfc-news-unsubscribe@yahoogroups.com

<*> Your use of Yahoo! Groups is subject to:
http://docs.yahoo.com/info/terms/