Thursday, August 26, 2004

[lfc-news] New boys set for key roles - Echo

------------------------ Yahoo! Groups Sponsor --------------------~-->
Make a clean sweep of pop-up ads. Yahoo! Companion Toolbar.
Now with Pop-Up Blocker. Get it for free!
http://us.click.yahoo.com/L5YrjA/eSIIAA/yQLSAA/2_TolB/TM
--------------------------------------------------------------------~->

Liverpool Echo, 26 Aug 2004
New boys set for key roles
By Chris Bascombe, Liverpool Echo

XABI ALONSO and Luis Garcia got lost on their way to Liverpool's training
ground yesterday. They're likely to have less trouble finding the route to
the Reds' first team.

The Spanish duo were handed their red jerseys with Rafael Benitez leaving
inquisitors in no doubt the pair will be key members of his side. Their
debuts are likely to be as immediate as Sunday.

Alonso has been described in terms which summon up the image of the
'complete midfielder'. Neither defensive, nor attacking. He passes, he
scores. His idols are listed as Redondo and Pep Guardiola.

And the inspiration of a certain Mr Aldridge earned a mention when Alonso
revealed how he first became passionate about football.

"I've always been a Real Sociedad fan and during my childhood the first
matches I saw involved John Aldridge," revealed the £10.7m signing. "When I
came to Anfield on Saturday I saw him sitting in the directors' box and
shook his hand. It was a nice feeling for me to meet him."

The Anfield connections don't end there, of course.

Sander Westerveld may have left for Sociedad under a cloud, but it seems
his fondness for the Reds remains.

"I spoke to Sander and he told me the club, the city, the fans and stadium
is wonderful," said Alonso.

"When I heard Liverpool were interested in me I knew what an important club
it is in England and Europe. I wanted to come here because it was a place I
wanted to play my football.

"It helps Rafa Benitez is here because he knows my game. When he told me he
was interested and the clubs reached an agreement, there was only one outcome."

Alonso thinks he's joined a club which can challenge for the Premiership as
early as this season.

He said: "I expect us to fight Arsenal, Chelsea and Manchester United. I
know they're good teams, but so are we. If we can do what the manager
wants, we can be very competitive.

"I've not spoken to the manager about whether I'll play on Sunday. I'll
probably know on Friday. I know Bolton have some Spanish players, so it
would be nice to play. I played against Ivan Campo and Fernando Hierro when
they were at Real Madrid. It's the first season for Hierro, just like me.

"I'm sure I will adapt to English football quickly. I think I'm well suited
to the English league. There are small differences, but in a few weeks I'm
sure I'll be used to it."

Alonso and Steven Gerrard are tipped to form a midfield dream team. Having
watched the last two home games, the 22-year-old is looking forward to
playing alongside the skipper.

"Steven Gerrard's level is very high," said Alonso.

"I've watched two matches and I've seen how good he is. He has good passing
skills and a strong shot. I hope to play a lot next to him.

"There are some things similar to our game. I don't like to talk too much
about my own qualities, I'd like people who watch me to make their own mind
up. I think the most important thing is to have balance in your game.

"I've always played midfield and tried to keep the game going with my
organisation and distribution. I know there are a lot of good midfielders
here already so I know it will be difficult to get into the side.

"Now it's up to the manager to play me." His chances will be improved the
more familiar he is with the club, and the path to the training ground in
West Derby.

"I had a problem finding it today, but on Friday I'll know exactly where
I'm going," he joked.


Unsubscribe: lfc-news-unsubscribe@yahoogroups.com
http://www.lfc-list.org.uk/

Yahoo! Groups Links

<*> To visit your group on the web, go to:
http://groups.yahoo.com/group/lfc-news/

<*> To unsubscribe from this group, send an email to:
lfc-news-unsubscribe@yahoogroups.com

<*> Your use of Yahoo! Groups is subject to:
http://docs.yahoo.com/info/terms/